Thursday, August 7, 2008

Next-Generation Second Cousins

By SEDONA DING

My second cousins (the kids of A-Ma Alice's eldest brother's eldest daughter, Christina), 10-year-old Anna and 8-year-old Nicholas, came over today all the way from Plano, Texas, for a day of fun in the sun, SoCal style.

They brought two LeapFrog storybook machines with lots of stories, and I showed how I'm better at identifying stars and triangles than squares and circles. If there is a child psychologist out there who can break that down for me, please do!

Anna's hair is wet because we all came home and showered after a big afternoon at the beach. I was an eager beaver to get in the ocean when I saw my cousins were playing around in there. I made Mommy go in over and over again, even though I was shivering. Then after a yummy noodles dinner prepared by our new Indonesian live-in nanny, Sioeyong Lauw, I inched over on the sofa so that I could sit right next to Anna!


Then we played with my bubble machine outside on the balcony! We made so many bubbles that some people walking along the street below thanked us for sharing our bubbles with them.

While playing with Anna and Nicholas, I toted this big-eared bunny, New Gnow-Gnow, with me most of the time. Back story: Daddy's sister, A-Go Kristen, got the original Gnow-Gnow (a dog stuffed animal) but passed him on when Daddy was born in 1971 -- and Gnow-Gnow is very much still with us. When Maven was born, A-Go Kristen gave her New Gnow-Gnow (a rabbit stuffed animal, yet nevertheless possibly Gnow-Gnow's twin in appearance). So yes, technically, New Gnow-Gnow is Maven's. But considering Old Gnow-Gnow wound up in the other sibling's hands, why can't New Gnow-Gnow wind up in my hands? That sound logic aside, I'll add this:    I LOVE HIM! :)


Aunt Christina bonded with Maven while I played with my cousins. Maven quickly fell asleep to the gentle rubbing on the head of an experienced mommy.


No comments:

Post a Comment