Saturday, November 14, 2009

Compton Outing

By MAGGIE WANG

Kevin is a sportswriter and I'm a Realtor, so we're a little medically-challenged for insight. We tend to listen to our doctors without question. Some people worry that the MRR shot causes autism, but Dr. Saad, our girls' doctor, recommended we get it during the routine check-ups, so our daughters got the the shot.

The latest thing is swine flu. I get at least one email or comment a day from someone about it. Everyone seems to have an opinion on how dangerous it is -- in addition to whether or not the H1N1 shot is necessary. With all the frenzy, it led me to call Dr. Saad's office, and they recommend the flu and H1N1 shot for the girls but they don't have it yet. Frankly, few doctors' offices have the H1N1 shot.

So, my stance became: If it works out to get the shot, the girls will get it. If it doesn't, life will go on.  I have gotten severely sick off of a flu and tetanus shot in the past so the idea of giving my girls those kinds of shots didn't quite appeal to me anyhow. 

But Saturday, Riley wanted to see Sedona. Kevin hadn't come back home from Denver yet. The stars aligned, and I jumped on the bandwagon and headed to Westchester with Riley's dad Gene to get the girls their shots. However, the line at Westchester was literally the length of our block or more! It was ridiculous. I quickly vetoed the idea but figured since we were out, let's just try the 'hood for the shots. 


So, here is it! Our first trip to Compton!

Amazingly, the shot was free -- and when they asked my elder daughter (who I thought was smart), if she wanted a the nasal spray or the shot ... well, she picked the shot and then cried afterward, naturally. (She had taken some nasal spray recently for a stuffed nose and cried after that also, though.)

On the way out of there was a mini-fair, too. They had art projects, free food and drinks and even free cute pink helmets. Who would have thought? ! Compton's the best! We'll be back in four weeks for more free follow-up shots and goodies!

No comments:

Post a Comment