Friday, September 10, 2010

Maven's Ballet Debut

By MAGGIE WANG

Maven started her first ballet class. She asked to do it after watching Sedona do the summer session at Redondo Beach Dance & Music. Maven and I have had fun watching Sedona do ballet and tap this summer even though Sedona's desire to participate has waffled. She loves to do ballet at home but at the studio was shy the first few times. She got into it over time, but when I asked if she wanted to do it again in the fall, she said, "No. I want to just watch Maven through the window." I had a feeling that after watching Maven she would want to do it again, but she was wishy-washy so I didn't sign her up.

So, we moved on to watching Maven make her debut ...

She was a superstar!

Of course, as I suspected, Sedona declared she wants to do her class now after watching Maven rock. Sedona's class is now booked, but we got on the waiting list.

When we were getting Maven all registered up, the gentleman behind the counter asked how old Maven was. After hearing she was 2 years old, he was shocked. He said he had never seen a 2-year-old understand and talk so much. His quote: "She even understands and laughs at jokes."

Maven's sense of humor led me to laugh ridiculously hard tonight when the girls were taking a bath. Sedona whiningly said, "Maven splashed me in the eye with water." In a low, deadpan voice, Maven said: "Oh, poor Sedona. Poor, poor Sedona."  The sarcasm in Maven's voice was unmistakable. It was so funny! So funny that even Sedona laughed at herself.

For now, the girls have school five days a week. Maven has ballet and Sedona has swim. Sedona is still at Lucky Duck Swim School and is continuing to improve immensely. She can pretty much swim already (though still needs supervision). She has accomplished so much, a great victory after her initial aversion to water. She now opens her eyes in the water, dives for rings, listens really well so she can improve, jumps into the deep end and loves the whole thing. I'm so proud of her.

No comments:

Post a Comment