Whitney and I had talked about combining Sedona's and Riley's birthday parties last year because they are such good friends, but for some reason we didn't. We figured this was the last year it made sense to go with 2 for 1, so we did ... but we barely got away with it.
Riley's birthday is 7/8/06 and Sedona's birthday is 8/31/06, so to be fair we picked a date between their birthdays. I think it was a little hard for Riley to understand that her real party was a month away and now for Sedona I have to explain that her real birthday isn't until later and she is actually still 3.
All in all, Riley ended up with two birthday parties and Sedona will sort of get to celebrate twice too -- so I would say they got an even better deal by sharing their birthday party.
The party was at Seaside Lagoon in Redondo Beach. The weather was perfect. Not too cold, not to hot. This was very fortunate given what a cool summer this has been and the venue is right by the ocean.
The perfectly located reserved picnic area.
Fun luau fruit skewers and personalized water bottles.
The four parents together before all the guests arrive.
My pal Debbie was able to schedule her work out here so she could attend Sedona's birthday party. We had a fabulous weekend with her, including enjoying crawfish. (Yes, I know I should be in our Texas hometown for that, but we've got Boiling Crab here too!)
Auntie Debbie has actually been out here so many times that Sedona refers to our guest room that is mostly called the "library" for all the kids' books down there occasionally as Debbie's room. A-Ma Ding has playfully asked Sedona if she could spend the night at our house, and Sedona said A-Ma could sleep in Auntie Debbie's room if she wasn't there.
*** Debs, Thanks for coming to visit and taking all these wonderful pictures for us while we were occupied at the party! ***
Kevin's sister Kristen bonding with Maven.
Snow angels in the sand
Only the best for our girls! Beckers cake! Yummy!
The morning of the party, Sedona and I went to pick up the birthday cake together over in Manhattan Beach. I started to sing, "Happy Birthday to you. Happy Birthday to ..." and Sedona stopped me and said, "Mommy! Happy Birthday to Riley and Sedona." She was thinking that I might have forgotten it was their birthday celebration together. It was super sweet. These girls really love each other.
The birthday girls and family.
The wandering little boy with his face in this picture was actually between Sedona and Riley when they were getting ready to blow out the candles. Riley turned to him and politely inquired, "Angel, will you please move so I can be by Sedona?" So cute!
We aren't letting Sedona open all the gifts at once, so it was adorable two nights later when the girls were in bed together. Sedona on her own yelled out to me, "Mom! Mom! In the morning, I'm going to let Maven open one of my presents, OK?" I said, "OK." She said, "Maven doesn't have any presents, so I'll let her open one of mine." With each of her gifts she has been super-willing to share.

No comments:
Post a Comment