Saturday, April 3, 2010

Maven and Daddy

By KEVIN DING

Maven's birthday party is coming up in a matter of hours, and her public will get to fete her then. But I wanted to document one private moment I savored with the not-yet-2-year-old.

I came home Thursday afternoon from more than a week on the road, and Maggie said it was the first time it seemed really to register with Maven that I was away and staying away for some time. That was validated Thursday night, when I was holding Maven in my lap while she ate a pre-sleep snack of cheese (and Sedona sat on the sofa eating some fruit).

Maven and I were sitting there, snuggling, when she put to use her rapidly improving verbal skills and said without provocation: "Daddy's home."

I looked at her, and she was smiling.

A while later, I told her: "I love you, Maven." And she said, "I love you, Daddy." And then she added again, with the same smile: "Daddy's home."

1 comment: