Tuesday, November 4, 2008

"Texas, Our Texas ..." (The State Song)

By MAGGIE WANG
I've been in Texas since Thursday of last week, which is why the blog has been lacking updated posts.



A-Gong Toshi, A-Ma Alice, Sedona and I traveled to Houston to celebrate Jennie Lin and Peter Kim's wedding. It was absolutely beautiful at the Royal Oaks Country Club.


- THURSDAY -



Sedona thoroughly enjoyed the plane ride. She hogged the window seat so she could see us take off and land.


Upon arrival, we went straight to Pappadeaux for fondue and crawfish etoufee with Jennie's parents. As expected, Sedona (like I do) loved crawfish. Yay! We then headed to the Galleria for some shopping.


Sedona was really enjoying herself, but as we were getting ready for bed, she said she wanted to 'go home.' I wasn't quite sure how to explain to her that she had four more days left in Houston.


I thought I could make Sedona feel better by letting her sleep with me -- OK, selfishly I wanted to snuggle with her and it was a good excuse -- but she didn't want to. She wanted to sleep alone in the hotel's Pack 'n' Play crib, which she ultimately did.


- FRIDAY (Happy Halloween!)-


I spent the day with the bride getting pampered -- massage and mani/pedi -- while Sedona went to lunch with A-gong and A-ma's friends. We then all hit the country club for the rehearsal and dinner.

Sedona's in a sailor dress with A-ma overlooking the golf course.

Sedona showing off some skills while I was in rehearsal.

- SATURDAY -

The whole gang joined me in getting my hair put into a low bun and my makeup done at Laura Mercier in Neiman-Marcus before the beautiful wedding.

At the wedding Sedona had a fabulous time! She played with big sparklers and loved the music. She was showing off in the middle of the dance floor. She closed the wedding down ... even asking for "more music" when it was over.

- SUNDAY -

We got up early for beignets, and as expected Sedona loved them. Then she headed to lunch again with A-gong and A-ma's friends while I went to eat boiled crawfish and go shopping with Debbie. In the evening we had dinner at Jennie's house. When the adults put on karaoke, Sedona shyly and excitedly started singing. She didn't quite understand the concept of not needing to put her mouth on the mike when she was singing, but it was a success.

- MONDAY -

We went to grab some kolache and donut holes at Shipley. Sedona couldn't wait for lunch. She gobbled my kolache. Thank God I bought 3 for myself!

We then had lunch at my childhood twa-bing (shaved-ice) place and then headed off for the airport, where A-gong & A-ma took Sedona home to LA and I took off to Austin, Texas, to visit Kira Williford, Julie's new baby girl who was born on Tuesday, 10/21/08.

Despite having a baby less than two weeks out, Julie took me straight to Pappadeaux from the airport. I have amazing friends. They know me so well. (I like my food in Texas.)

- TUESDAY -

Julie, Genabeth (Julie's super-cool mom), Kira and I just lounged around Genabeth's house until we had lunch at Chewy's, stopped by Julie's OB appt (she is all good), toured Julie's home and then headed back to Genabeth's for a home-cooked meal by Tim, Julie's husband.

- WEDNESDAY -

Julie's 2-year-old daughter Laney (six weeks apart from Sedona; Kira is six months apart from Maven) played hooky from school, so we spent some time playing before heading out to a nice BBQ lunch. I got a pulled pork sandwich and fried pickles -- a real Texas meal. Of course, we stopped by Marble Slab for ice cream on the way to the airport - which completed my trip.


Friends and food ... my Texas!

No comments:

Post a Comment