Saturday, August 29, 2009

Field of Dings

By MAGGIE WANG

On the note of Kevin's team winning the softball championship, here's the recap of the last play of the season e-mailed out by team manager/pitcher Mag:

As per usual, we took a nice lead against our nemeses, the Castoffs (with a few breaks here and there, but still). It was 14-7 heading into the bottom of the seventh. Again per usual, the Castoffs rallied. They scored five runs. They had runners on first and third with the wnning run at the plate with two outs. The batter hit a medium-hard groundball up the middle. I took a step to my right to field it. Then the ball took a crazy-big, crazy-bad hop over my shoulder!
I turned around, and Kevin was leaping to field the ball behind second base. He dove at the second-base bag and tapped it with his glove (at least it appeared that way, and the umpire bought it; only Kevin knows for sure, and he's taking that secret to his grave). Game over. Championship secured.
Kevin ran in to celebrate. Everyone joined him. I was so stunned and tired, I wasn't even sure what had happened.

And here are some pictures of us rooting Kevin on this season...

Yes, that's Felix in the background of my cool photo!

Maven seems more interested in ball games these days than Sedona, but Sedona really loved them at Maven's age, too. One of Sedona's favorites was when Kevin would stand behind her as she threw a ball in some random direction and he'd dive for the ball and try to catch it (with sound effects to make her laugh) before it hit the ground.


There was a tractor randomly parked next to our car in the lot on this day, so naturally the girls wanted to hop on. Silly ... but I do often say that Kevin comes from a family of Taiwanese farm people!

No comments:

Post a Comment