It follows logically that if I'm not writing as much for work right now, I should at least contribute a few tales to the blog here, right?
Here are a couple little stories from the past few weeks while I've been home more after the early end to the Lakers' season ...
MAVEN:
I was sitting on the family-room couch with Maven and felt that she was in a forthcoming mood (not that a 3-year-old is committed to hiding stuff, but both girls are already definitely into just saying that nothing happened at school on some days). So in the spirit of open communication in our family, I warmly asked Maven why she likes Mommy better than me.
There's no doubt that Maven insists at times on having Mommy do things for her even when I'm there, and I've had many talks with her about how I'm just trying to help her. There are obviously other times -- increasingly so -- when Maven and I have really quality time together, especially in recent weeks. Our most recent scheduled one-on-one kid time had Maggie out with Sedona and me home with Maven (highlighted by eating ice cream and -- at her specific request -- hitting soft-toss balls in the living room, which I'd done with Sedona but never with Maven).
Which brings me to the point of this little story: Maven's direct answer to my question about why she likes Mommy better.
Here's what Maven said to me, quite simply: "Because Daddy goes on trips."
SEDONA:
I was driving the kids home from their post-school swim lessons the other day when Sedona offered up an unsolicited anecdote from school earlier in the day. (Not every day is them saying nothing happened at school yet, you see.)
"Jack Fisher kissed me today," Sedona said.
Uh-oh! Sedona explained how Jack Fisher, a boy in her class, blew her a kiss (no, not an actual physical kiss; Sedona isn't quite ready to be a journalist yet) while she waited in line at school. Then he did it again later in the day (although she pointed out that he doesn't blow kisses properly, because he doesn't do well with the blowing part -- already a critical woman!).
I asked if he kisses other girls, and Sedona said it was just her. She went on to say -- she is quite good at story-telling, in part a result of her passion for reading -- that Jack Fisher wants to marry her. And no, Jack Fisher does not want to marry all the girls -- just Sedona.
I asked Sedona if she wants to marry Jack Fisher. Nope!
No comments:
Post a Comment